Pets and Toxic Plants

If you’ve got a green thumb and have pets at home, you definitely need to take some precautions. As a responsible pet parent, you need to know what household plants can cause serious health problems to your canine and feline companions.

Cats are quite fastidious about what they eat, so generally they avoid chewing on plants they don’t find appealing. Though, kittens have less experience and therefore they are in more danger. Dogs might be less sensitive to the toxic effects of certain plants than cats are, but they just love to nibble on things! Well, you know… So, you’d better be aware of what grows in your home and garden.

Pets and Toxic Plants

Plant Toxicity Classes

  • Major toxicity: these plants may cause serious illness or death.
  • Minor toxicity: if ingested, these plants may cause vomiting or diarrhea.
  • Oxalates: if ingested, these plants can cause throat swelling, breathing problems, burning pain, and stomach aches.
  • Dermatitis: The juice, sap, or thorns of these plants may cause a skin rash or irritation.

If you are not sure about the class, you can identify your plant on the Pet Poison Helpline. According to their statistics, most commonly, cats get poisoned by eating cut-flower bouquets or potted lilies; dogs — by chewing on Sago palms and outdoor plants.

Here are the most common plants that you’d better not have at home or at least not have your pets anywhere near them:

  • Sago Palm
  • Daffodil
  • Tulip
  • Lily of the Valley
  • Azalea
  • Dieffenbachia
  • Oleander
  • Cyclamen
  • Kalanchoe
  • Lilies
  • Chrysanthemum
  • Poinsettia
  • Eucalyptus
  • Narcissus (bulbs)
  • Foxglove

In case your pet has nibbled on a potentially poisonous plant, get them to a vet at once. The faster you can get help, the better as some of these plant toxins act very quickly. The faster you can get help, the better as some of these plant toxins act very quickly.